The Barding Saga
Pursuing Your Agenda
When you pursue your agenda over a long period of time, the MC will tell you how much you can accomplish during this time, then roll +versed. On a 10+, describe how you advance your agenda. On a 7-9, describe one way in which you advance your agenda and one major setback you have faced. On a miss, describe what major setback that you have faced.
Speaking Before a Thing
When you speak before a þing, roll +versed. On a 10+, you convince them. On a 7-9, someone emerges from the assembly to oppose you, with the people split between you. On a miss, the &thing;ing rejects your idea completely.
Running a Farm
When you do man’s work but are not the Man, roll +young. On a 10+ hold 1 labor. On a 7-9 choose one:
- You hold 0 labor
- You hold 1 labor but it’s back-breaking work. You tempt fate to do it.
- You hold 1 labor but some part of your farmstead is depleted, goes into decay, disrepair or becomes otherwise unusable until you work on fixing the problem.
On a miss, some part of your farmstead is depleted, goes into decay, disrepair or becomes otherwise unusable until you work on fixing the problem.
Offering Blót to the Landvættir
hen you offer blót to the landvættir, roll +2 if your offering is equal to a handful of silver, or +0 if your offering is only equal to a bit of silver. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. Use your hold 1-for-1 over the next season to do one of the following:
- Hold 1 labor
- Hold one more head of livestock
- Fix part of a farmstead that is depleted, in decay or disrepair, or otherwise unusable.
The Red Christ
When you accept the gospel of the Red Christ, choose any three, more or all:
- must free all your slaves, pagan or Christian
- must erect a shrine to the Red Christ amidst your other gods
- can declare your own code of honor and gain a +1 forward when it is in question
- tell the Red Christ to gain a bond with you
- gain a bond with the Red Christ
- can learn to preach the gospel yourself
When you follow your own code of honor as the Red Christ did, and it involves either tempting fate or calling your honor into question, hold 1 on a hit. You can spend your hold 1-for-1 to gain bonds with the Red Christ.
When you die a follower of the Red Christ, roll +hold you have from following your own code of honor as the Red Christ did. On a 10+ tell the MC how an aspect of Icelandic culture will change forever once you’re gone. On a 7-9 your name lives on, affecting those that come after you. Create a token through which your memory survives: a poem, a story, a family heirloom, a runic inscription, or something similar. Spend whatever hold you have from following your own code of honor as the Red Christ did to influence those that know your memory.
When you accept gifts from a king, he gains a bond with you. He can spend those bonds 1-for-1 to offer you a bond with him if you do as he has commanded.
When you encounter a leper, roll +young. On a 10+ you’re fine. On a 7-9 the disease gains a bond with you. On a miss you contract the disease.
When you gain your third bond with leprosy, you contract the disease.
When you become a leper, you take a scar whenever you endure grave harm and every time you survive a winter in Iceland.